|"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened" The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy|
Math Research Status at the moment:
*A Fund Manager is critized for being worse than a monkey throwing darts in 50% of the cases. For some applications Mathematicians happily admit that throwing darts is the best construction they know so far in (nearly) 100% of the cases...*
*Sparse control of dynamical systems, Besov regularity of p-Laplacian, High-dimensional analysis, Function spaces, Wavelet characterizations*
Home M15 -- Curriculum Vitae PDF (not up to date) -- Short CV -- Honors -- Publications -- Talks -- Extracurricular Activities -- What I do beside Mathematics
|January 1, 2015||For now the last month at TU Munich and as a Postdoc. Still finishing work...|
|December 1, 2014||Paper Sparse Control of Alignment Models in High Dimension accepted by Applied Math Journal Networks and Heterogeneous Media|
|August 26, 2014||Dropping punchlines! Completed the paper Sparse Control of Alignment Models in High Dimension, together with Mattia Bongini, Massimo Fornasier, and Oliver Junge (all Munich), available online and on arXiv, see Publications|
|August 19, 2014||Completed the paper Besov regularity of solutions to the p-Poisson equation, together with Stephan Dahlke, Christoph Hartmann, Markus Weimar (all Marburg), and Lars Diening (Munich), available online and on arXiv, see Publications|
|July 7 - July 12, 2014||Went to the biggest conference ever seen (2500 mathematicans) in Madrid, had to wait for lunch 30 minutes and gave an invited talk at a special session on How to steer high-dimensional Cucker-Smale systems to consensus using low-dimensional information only (PDF)|
|June 2014||I was honored with the Promotionspreis der Fakultät für Mathematik und Informatik der FSU Jena for my PhD-Thesis Wavelets for function spaces on cellular domains. Thanks to Hans Triebel and Hans-Jürgen Schmeißer (my advisors) who helped me on my way. Some pictures of me in a suit (and wrong shoes) can be found here|
|June 2014||Went to my Home University Jena (aka J-Town) to give a prolonged talk on Besov regularity of solutions of the p-Laplace equation (PDF)|
|June 2014||Had a nice week in Strobl! PDF of my talk Besov regularity of solutions of the p-Laplace equation is now online.|
|April 2014||New Postdoc colleagues are here: Welcome Giacomo and Markus|
|March 2014||Have been here and there - now let's finish publications|
|January 2014||The Besov regularity of p-Laplace is being tackled... Let's write some papers ...|
|December 9 - December 13, 2013||Visited Matheon Workshop 2013 Compressed Sensing and its Applications in Berlin, together with Steffen Peter|
|November 3 - November 11, 2013||Had a wonderful week visiting Benedetto Piccoli in Rutgers, NJ, USA, worked also together with Nastassia Pouradierduteil on Dynamic systems of Cucker-Smale type, added some noise.|
|October 7 - October 11, 2013||Visited Stephan Dahlke in Marburg, had a week of hard work on the Besov Regularity of p-Laplacians and nice chats with Markus Weimar, Christoph Hartmann, Lars Diening and Maximilian Wank.|
|August 2013||New features on my webpage: Talks with PDFs and Links to the Workshops|
|July 2013||Gave presentations on How to steer high-dimensional Cucker-Smale systems to consensus using low-dimensional information only in Munich at TUM-IAS Workshop on Novel Numerical Methods - Shifting the Borders of Computability and in Siegmundsburg at Seminar Analysis & Theoretische Numerik for my friends from the function spaces group of Jena.|
|June 2013||Working on Dynamical systems, sparse control, Johnson-Lindenstrauss theorem and try to limit the dimension, with Mattia Bongini|
|Jun 15, 2013||Completed the paper Wavelet decomposition techniques and Hardy inequalities for function spaces on cellular domains, available online and on arXiv, see Publications|
|March 10 - March 17, 2013||Visiting Philadelphia and the chair of Benedetto Piccoli at Rutgers Camden to get an insight into the Dynamical systems, Sparse control, with Massimo Fornasier|
|March 1, 2013||Started to work as a Postdoc at the ERC-Starting Grant project High-Dimensional Sparse Optimal Control with Massimo Fornasier and Mattia Bongini|
|March 2013||started as Postdoc at TU Garching (Munich) in the ERC-Starting Grant project High-Dimensional Sparse Optimal Control, head: Massimo Fornasier|
|February 2013||PhD at Research group Function spaces of FSU Jena, supervisors: Hans-Jürgen Schmeißer and Hans Triebel, summa cum laude|
|March 2009||Diploma in Mathematics (secondary subject Computer Sciences) at FSU Jena, with honors|
|May 2004||Abitur at Carl-Zeiss-Gymnasium Jena, Germany, with honors|
|November 29, 1985||born in Jena|
- Promotionspreis 2014 der Fakultät für Mathematik und Informatik der FSU Jena for my PhD-Thesis Wavelets for function spaces on cellular domains, 06/2014, Jena, Germany.
- Examenspreis des Dekans 2010 der Fakultät für Mathematik und Informatik der FSU Jena for my Diploma Thesis Atomare Charakterisierungen vektorwertiger Funktionenräume, 10/2010, Jena, Germany.
- Best Doctoral Student Presentation Award at TUM-IAS Workshop Novel Numerical Methods - Shifting the Borders of Computability, 07/2013, Munich, Germany.
- PDF 8. M. Bongini, M. Fornasier, O. Junge, and B. Scharf, Sparse Control of Alignment Models in High Dimension
- submitted (2014), available at arXiv.org: http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.6362
- PDF 7. S. Dahlke, L. Diening, C. Hartmann, B. Scharf, and M. Weimar, Besov regularity of solutions to the p-Poisson equation
- Preprint Nr. 2014-07, Philipps-Universität Marburg, available at arXiv.org: http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.4271
- PDF 6. B. Scharf, Wavelet decomposition techniques and Hardy inequalities for function spaces on cubes,
- J. Approx. Theory 178 (2014), 41--63, available at arXiv.org: http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.3131
- PDF 5. B. Scharf, Wavelets in function spaces on cellular domains
- PhD thesis (2013), available at arXiv.org: http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.3751 and on
- PDF 4. B. Scharf, Atomic representations in function spaces and applications to pointwise multipliers and diffeomorphisms, a new approach
- Math. Nachr. 286 (2013), no. 2--3, 283--305, available at arXiv.org: http://arxiv.org/abs/1111.6812
- PDF 3. B. Scharf, H.-J. Schmeißer, and W. Sickel, Traces of vector-valued Sobolev Spaces
- Math. Nachr. 285 (2012), no. 8--9, 1082--1106.
- PDF 2. B. Scharf, Local means and atoms in vector-valued function spaces
- Jenaer Schriften zur Mathematik und Informatik (2010), Math/Inf/05/10, available at arXiv.org: http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.6159
- PDF 1. B. Scharf, Atomare Charakterisierungen vektorwertiger Funktionenräume
- Diploma thesis (2009)
- New embedding results for Kondratiev spaces
PDF - Link Seminar - Seminar Funktionenräume Jena, 01/2015, Jena, Germany
- Besov regularity of solutions of the p-Laplace equation
PDF - Link Seminar - Seminar Funktionenräume Jena, 06/2014, Jena, Germany
PDF - Link Workshop - Workshop Modern Time-Frequency Analysis, 06/2014, Strobl, Austria
- How to steer high-dimensional Cucker-Smale systems to consensus using low-dimensional
PDF - Link Workshop - The 10th AIMS Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, Special Session 48, 07/2014, Madrid, Spain
PDF - Link Workshop - Workshop on Numerical Methods for Optimal Control and Inverse Problems, 03/2014, Munich, Germany
PDF - Link Workshop - TUM-IAS Workshop "Novel Numerical Methods - Shifting the Borders of Computability", 07/2013, Munich, Germany: Best Doctoral Student Presentation Award
PDF - Seminar Analysis und Theoretische Numerik, 07/2013, Siegmundsburg, Germany.
- Wavelets for reinforced function spaces on cellular domains
PDF - Oberseminar Numerik, 02/2014, Marburg, Germany.
PDF - Seminar Analysis and Numerics, 12/2013, Prague, Czech Republic.
PDF - Link Workshop - Workshop Applied Coorbit Theory, 09/2012, Vienna, Austria.
PDF - Link Conference - International Conference Function Spaces X, 07/2012, Poznan, Poland.
PDF - German-Ukrainian Exchange, 06/2012, Simferopol, Ukraine.
PDF - Link Seminar - Seminar Function Spaces, 07/2012, Jena, Germany.
- Wavelets for function spaces on cellular domains
PDF - PDF deutsch - Defense of the thesis, 02/2013, Jena, Germany
Link Seminar - Seminar Function Spaces, 12/2011, Jena, Germany.
PDF - Mathematical Seminar at Beijing Normal University, 10/2011, Beijing, China.
PDF - Link Seminar - Seminar Function Spaces, 01/2011, Jena, Germany.
- Pointwise multipliers and diffeomorphisms in function spaces
PDF - Link Conference - 8th International Conference FSDONA, 09/2011, Tabarz, Germany.
PDF - Link Seminar - Seminar Function Spaces, 05/2011, Jena, Germany.
PDF - Seminar Adama Mickiewicz University Poznan, 05/2011, Poznan, Poland.
- Local means and atoms in vector-valued Function Spaces
PDF - Link Workshop - Workshop on Smoothness, Approximation, and Function Spaces, 10/2010, Oppurg, Germany.
PDF - Mathematical Seminar at Steklov Mathematical Institute, 09/2010, Moscow, Russia.
PDF - Seminar Function Spaces, 12/2009, Jena, Germany.
PDF - Seminar Analysis und Theoretische Numerik, 07/2009, Siegmundsburg, Germany.
- Play, referee (and maybe again coach) Basketball at TSV Jahn Freising - now organizing the referees of the club as "Schiedsrichterwart"
- Proofreader of the mathematical newspaper "Die Wurzel" - Link. Until 2013 editor, writer, responsible for the task page and supervisor/lecturer at "Schülerakademie Mathematik" (30--50 pupils) of Wurzel e. V. Jena
- Judge for Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes: selected outstanding students for a scholarship
- Basketball fan, especially of Science City Jena, founder of the fan club Sprungball Ultras Jena: Bring the jump ball back to european B-Ball!
- Learn and teach my friends how to save and invest money - Financial behaviour and education - gave a talk Aktive Finanzplanung: Die Peter-Zwegat-Methode, PDF from 15.03.2012 (German).
- Love to visit Flea markets and buy old/used technical and electronical stuff
- Love for Linux + Lenovo and IBM Thinkpads + Build your own computer: Buy, repair, sell and use
- Office (given): Macbook Pro 15,6"
- Office 2: Lenovo Thinkpad T60 - Intel T5600, 64 GB Sandisk SSD, 3 GB Ram, Flexview-Display LG lp150e05-a2 15" SXGA+ (1400x1050)
- Home: Lenovo Thinkpad X220, i7-2620M, 60 GB OCZ Vertex, 8 GB RAM, Standard Display, Docking-Station, 80 GB Backup HDD, NEC 2690WUXI Display
- Mobile: Lenovo Thinkpad X201T - Intel i7-640LM, 64 GB Kingston SSD, 4 GB Ram, Display Toshiba Superbright 12.1" WXGA (1280x800)
- Listening to good music using expensive headphones or (classic) loudspeakers
- Mobile Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25, V-Moda M-100 (my favorite)
- Home Headphones: Ultrasone Pro 750 (my favorite), Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 Ohm), Stax SR-5 gold (electrostatic), AKG K551
- Office Headphones: Ultrasone Pro 900, Presonus HD-7 (=Superlux HD-681, price tip for only 20 Euro), Superlux HD-681 Evo (price tip)
- Inear: Fischer Amps FA 3, Logitech Ultimate Ears 700
- Home Loudspeakers: Yamaha NS-690 driven by Rotel RA 713 + turntable Dual CS 1219
- 5.1 Loudspeakers: Pioneer HPM-100, Tannoy Sensys Center, Tannoy Revolution Sub 1001, Self-Made Rear driven by Marantz NR-1501
- Bed Room Loudspeakers: Self-Made Fostex FE-103 (Dynacord) + Subwoofer Quadral Sub 67 DV driven by ...
- Kitchen Loudspeakers: Cheap Trick ** driven by Kenwood KR-5200